The 100km Otway Odyssey has a solid reputation… this is the ultimate mountain bike marathon – a heroic mountain bike journey through a range of wild landscapes and cranking single track. THIS IS WHERE LEGENDS ARE FORGED so show us what you’re made of and sign up for the big one in 2024!
100km Course Description
The 100km course starts and finishes in Forrest, and will provide a breathtaking journey over the ranges and along the single track that has made Forrest a MTB mecca for so long. IT’S TOUGH, BUT IT’S GOOD.
Date: Saturday 24 February, 2024
Start: at Forrest Football Ground
- 7:00am Saturday – 100km Elite female race start
- 7:25am Saturday – 100km E-bike race start
- 7:30am Saturday – 100km Odyssey race start
Finish: Forrest Football Ground
Elevation (total): ~2,050m ascending and ~2,050m descending
Stages: Approximate course details below, tbc when the new trails are finished.
- 43km Stage 1 – The Michelin Loop, Forrest Football Ground to the top of No.1 Spur Tk and then descending and climbing Noonday Tk then on to Red Carpet Tk and the awesome West Forrest singletrack network and returning to Football Ground!
- 33.5km (76km total) Stage 2 – The Skratch Labs Super Loop, Yaugher Loop including Marriners Run, J2, Super Loops = Still plenty of undulations but some amazing and long sections of singletrack. Happy days!
- 23km (Total 98km) Stage 3 – The Focus Loop, Forrest Football Oval to Kents Rd, Thompsons Tk (big climb) and return on a fast Newcombs Spur Tk descent. Make sure you leave some juice in the tank for this section!
The race starts on Yaugher Rd and gets straight into action with an 11km gradual climb up Kaanglang Rd, past Lake Elizabeth and past the ‘quarry’ to ultimately turn right down No.1 Spur Tk and Noonday Tk to cross the clear stream at the bottom. After which its a fairly savage climb up Noonday Tk back to the ‘quarry’ and the top of the KOM.
Back down Kaanglang Rd, a fun descent to Lake Elizabeth and soon after its the timed (and super fun) descent on the famed Michelin Tyres Red Carpet Tk – YEW! (see video preview of the track here). Riders then enter more singletrack heaven to complete the West Forrest singletrack network – including a full circuit of Follow The Dog – then its across the road into the new Flow Tracks before returning to the footy oval at the 43km pt. This section includes much of the newly developed and re-surfaced tracks
Riders then enter Yaugher trail network for 33+km of near continuous single track, ticking off trails like The Super Loop, Grasstrees, Marriners Run, Foxtail, J2 and plenty more. Re-fuel back the the footy oval at the 76km pt before embarking on the “sting in the tail” section of the race.
Exiting the footy ground a final time riders tackle a big climb up Thompsons Tk to the top of the Otways before a steep and fast descent on Newcombs Spur Tk that will truly leave you grining. The final climb up the “Sledgehammer” is back with it appearing just a couple of kms from the finish line. It will be sure to bring even our strongest riders to tears at this stage of the race.
Conquer that and you’re happy-days-rolling into the triumphant finish chute on the Forrest Footy Ground.
Remember, there is a lot of single track in this ride and a lot of climbing, so it is a true test of skill and endurance!
2024 Course Map
Provisional course – slight changes possible before race day.
Scan the QR Code above to download the terrific CAPRA mapping app and receive the 100km map on your phone. (Follow the prompts to create an account and you’ll find the maps in the app’s ‘Library’)
CLICK HERE for an interactive course map on Trail Forks – 2024 course.
“Loved the single trails; the hills were challenging as hell but in a good way!!” – Douglas Murphy, 2022 100km Odyssey rider
“A true mix of varied terrain; the best riding possibly Australia all over – open road, climbing, bombing, creek crossings, berms, sand, mud, open fast single, tight single, in lush rainforest, in arrid sand… 100 Ks of a mix you won’t forget!” – Hugh Moll, 2021 100km Odyssey rider
CLIF Bar Fuel Stations and water points
Listed below are the water point locations on the 100km course. Further details about the Football Ground water point, on course and water points and transfer services is online HERE.
- 30km point (junction of West Barwon Dam Access Rd and Skenes Ck Rd): Water bottle/food bag drop off pt
- 43km point (Forrest Football Oval): Full support feed zone and water bottle/food bag drop off point
- 62.5km point (in Yaugher Forest at base of Yo Yo track): Water and 32gi only – not a drop off point
- 76km point (Forrest Football Oval): Full support feed zone and water bottle/food bag drop off point
- 87km point (Top of the Thompsons Track climb): Water and 32gi only – not a drop off point