Odyssey Angels is all about helping you feel comfortable about racing and to provide the opportunity to relate any feelings or uncertainties with like-minded women on bikes! Not to mention the great social side too.
Below you’ll find information and details on the following:
- Join the Odyssey Angels Facebook Group
- Training Guide
- Nikki Martin – 2021 Angel Ambassador
- MTB Skills session and Social rides
- Angel Nutrition
- Ride Angels – who are they and what do they do!
“I think it is a great initiative to get more women to participate – Jessica Douglas and the rest of the team leaders did a great job, thank you!” Pamela Hammond, 2020 Participant.
ODYSSEY ANGELS FACEBOOK GROUP
A Facebook group for female riders in the Otway Odyssey MTB and Gravel Grinds was created last year. What are you waiting for – head on over and JOIN US!
- Join HERE
- This is a closed group set up and administered by women for women
- This is a place to meet, chat and share your MTB experiences with fellow Otway Odyssey MTB participants (or potential participants!)
- This is NOT a sales page.
“I wanted to say thank you for a well run event. The extra effort being put into women’s cycling is excellent. In the Rookie (30km) event, the signage was really good and I liked the Angels and encouraging signs along the way.” Tania, 2019 first-time participant.
TRAINING PROGRAMS, by Jess Douglas
Our Odyssey Angel and super-supporter of female riders Jess Douglas has prepared a couple some great training tips including a basic 12-week ‘easy to use’ guide to help you prepare for the race, AS WELL AS some more specific training programs for the 100km and 50km races.
All programs are not regimented and do not lock you into a sweaty hell for months to come – it is a bare minimum preparation guide to get you to the start line.
Starting with just 1 hour a week, building up to 2-3 hours. This is a CAN DO guide!
NIKKI MARTIN – 2021 AMBASSADOR
Meet Nikki Martin – our 2021 Angel Ambassador! Nikki only started on the MTB 3 years ago and has come full circle to help more women get on the bike. Nikki is here to help new and experienced riders with any questions, helping their training with gentle advice and just keeping excitement stringing along!
Nikki will also host a MTB skills/recci-ride in January 2021 – details below which will be announced shortly!
MTB SKILLS SESSIONS AND SOCIAL RIDES
There are a number of women’s specific bike groups, classes and skills sessions conducted for women so check out the following groups for more information and support.
We are currently working on a MTB skills clinic and 30km social ride over the course. Dates and details for these will be posted soon.
There are a number of other groups out there as summarized below (and if you know of any others then let us know!):
- Bike it Better with Caz Clarke who runs a range of social rides, session and coaching services in Melbourne: http://www.bikeitbetter.com/
- Wheel Women with a range of courses and programs to give women more confidence on bikes: http://www.wheelwomenaustralia.com/
NUTRITION ADVICE WITH JO HAND
I’m Jo, Flow Nutritionist, a qualified Practitioner of Nutritional Medicine.
I love being out in nature! I ride bikes as exercise, meditation and FUN!
I love food, and energy food gives me.
I’ve been in a place where I thought the above was such an effort. Feeling sluggish and flat, day in, day out!
I was trying to fuel whilst training, and ending up with a gut looking 6months pregnant, and fading really fast, when everyone else was powering on. It wasn’t due to lack of training, it was due to malabsorption and the wrong foods for me.
I can help you with fuelling for training, racing, and most important whilst training, recovering!
Keeping your immune system strong over these next couple of months, is going to keep you flowing all the way to race day!
Power of Positive Food!
Ride Angels will be friendly female riders out on their bikes to help us on the day if we get stuck. Their friendly smiles, fluttering wings and race day experience will be a sign of welcome relief and support if you need a hand!
- Ride Angels will be at the start line for the 50km MTB, 49km Gravel Grind, and 30km MTB to assist with any last minute bike issues, answer any questions and be there for support and encouragement
- Ride Angels will also be out on the course to offer bike support, encouragement and assistance if you have a mechanical, get a puncture or get lost (30km female MTB ride exempt from the usual “no outside assistance” rule)
- Ride Angels will be on hand at the informal Information Session in the Ladies Lounge on the Friday evening 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Ride Angels will be identified with white fairy wings
If you’d like to be a Ride Angel then please contact us as we’d love you on the team! Email [email protected]