The 50km race is one of the most popular, mid-distance races in Australia and is designed to be enjoyable and achievable for riders of all abilities whilst providing an incredible mix of single track, climbs, descents and a superb race atmosphere in a half distance challenge.
50KM Course Description
The 50km course will race along most of Forrest’s most popular trails and include the likes of: Marriners Run, Grass Trees, J2 and others. The single track will be in the middle of the course – when you’ve got more energy?! – and biggest climbs saved for the end (ouch!).
Date: Saturday 24 February, 2024
Start: on Yaugher Rd 300m from the Forrest Footy Oval, Victoria
- 7:55am Saturday – 50km E-bike race start – Yaugher Rd
- 8:00am Saturday – 50km Otway Shorty race start
Total elevation gain / loss: approx 900m ascending and 900m descending
Course Stages: Approximate course details below, tbc when the new trails are finished.
- 31km Leg 1 – The Skratch Labs Super Loop : (Footy Ground – Forrest Town – Yaugher – Footy Ground)
- 19km (50km total) Leg 2 – Michelin Loop : (Footy Ground – Kang Rd – Lake Elizabeth – Red Carpet – West Barwon Dam – Footy Ground); 19.5km (Cumulative Dist = 50km)
Riders commence with a loop around Forrest township including a loop of the gravel tracks below the dam wall that will help spread the field before heading into the Yaugher trails.
The 50km riders will tackle the most popular trails in Yaugher, riding something of a ‘greatest hits’ course that including the Superloop, Marriners Run and J2 that see you racing at warp speed with a grin from ear to ear…. until you come to the infamous Sandy Climb that’ll suck some punch from your legs and set you up for the hills to come.
Riders come through the Footy Ground at the 30km pt and then ‘head for the hills’ with a long climb up Kaanglang Rd before a fast descent to Lake Elizabeth and a top to bottom run down the famed Michelin Tyres Red Carpet single track descent. The course then heads below the dam wall and up to Skenes Ck Rd before a fun descent back to the finish line on one of the new flow trails.
This is a course that really has it all – plenty of blitzing single track, challenging climbs and wooping descents.
2024 Course Map
Scan the QR Code above to download the terrific CAPRA mapping app and receive the 100km map on your phone. (Follow the prompts to create an account and you’ll find the maps in the app’s ‘Library’)
CLICK HERE or the map below for interactive course map on Trail Forks. 2023 version below.
“Summary… I LOVE this weekend!” – Heath Allen, 2022 Odyssey rider.
“This day showed me how much punishment I could take – another level of discomfort and misery, which as cyclists I know we adore. See you next year.” – Gordon Kenneway, 2021 Odyssey rider.
Listed below are the water point locations on the 2024 50km course. Further details about the Football Ground water point, on course and water points is online HERE.
- 23km point (in Yaugher Forest at base of Yo Yo track): Water and Skratch only – not a drop off point
- 31km point (Forrest Football Oval): Full support feed zone and water bottle/food bag drop off point
- 44km point (junction of West Barwon Dam Access Rd and Skenes Ck Rd): Water and Skratch only – not a drop off point
The Michelin Tyres Red Carpet Track
The famed Red Carpet track was renovated in 2021 and here’s a video that shows what the new track is like.