SPECTATORS AND SUPPORT CREWS ARE MOST WELCOME TO JOIN THE OTWAY ODYSSEY FUN! THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED SO YOU KNOW HOW, WHEN AND WHERE YOU CAN GET INVOLVED.
Index to the information below
FINISH LINE AND EVENT CENTRE
Location: Forrest Football Ground, Forrest VIC
The Otway Odyssey is far more than ‘just another bike race’ as it includes a large event centre and sponsors expo at the Forrest Football ground on Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday – fun for the whole family! It attracts plenty of spectators and general public to the event and is the ideal place to park the family and your friends while you flog yourself around the course! Entry to the festival is FREE!
- Finish location for all races
- Start location for all events – 100km, 50km, 30km, 10km and Groms
- Intermediary points for 100km, 50km and 30km MTB races
- Sponsors expo and display stands
- The only spot on the course where MTB riders can receive outside mechanical support – including from the onsite bike shop.
FOOD STALLS: 10AM – 5PM SATURDAY AND 9:00AM – 2:00PM SUNDAY
A wide range of stalls will be up and running in the expo, including items such as:
- Coffee, smoothies, soft drink, water and more
- BBQ food with sausages, hamburgers, egg and bacon rolls
- Baked Potatoes
- Tropical Snow
- Timboon Ice-cream (yum!)
- Healthy rolls and salads
SPONSORS EXPO: 10:00AM – 5:00PM SATURDAY AND 9:00AM – 2:00PM SUNDAY
All event sponsors, as well as several other biking and tourism related companies, will have stands at the Forrest Football Ground, in 2021 this included:
- Focus and Cervelo Bikes Australia – set up with a selection of their bikes and the opportunity to have a chat about their range of MTB, gravel/CX and road bikes
- Bikecorp – displaying and retailing Michelin Tyres, Azure accessories and Super-B tools
- 32gi – with a range of hydration and nutrition products to try and buy
- DT Swiss – showcasing their range of wheelsets
- Shimano – showcasing their drive trains, ebike motors and other components and accessories
- Lazer Helmets – with their interactive caravan displaying their line of helmets
- VeloKicks – displaying and retailing their bike shoes for road, gravel and MTB
- Krush bike wash – wash, try, buy their comprehensive range of bike care products
- Melbourne Bicycle Centre – with a retail store selling a range of sponsor products as well as any last minute items you might need – like tubes, pumps, gas canisters, gloves…
- No Limit Cycle Repairs (Griffyn Branagh) will be set up to provide any last minute bike mechanical work you need
“This is a fabulous weekend of MTB and Gravel Grind racing in the beautiful Otways. The atmosphere of the festival village is family friendly and the food is wonderful. The trails are diverse and challenging and with the huge variety of races available, they are within everybody’s reach. I could not recommend the Otway Odessy highly enough for the whole family.” – Pamela Hammond, multiple-Odyssey participant.
FINISH LINE REFRESHMENTS
Fresh fruit will be available at the finish line with a range of oranges, water melon, cantaloupe and other fruits available for competitors (only). Enjoy!
MUSIC AND MCS
It’s non-stop entertainment with event an interactive MC providing commentary throughout the day, and some chilled out live music playing on the stage between 12pm and 3pm to welcome those who have finished this epic event.
EVENT BAR THANKS TO THE FORREST BREWERY
The award winning local business – The Forrest Brewing Company – will be operating a thriving event bar in the middle of proceedings at the Footy Ground and we encourage everyone to kick back and relax with one of their beers at the end of your ride.
KIDS ENTERTAINMENT AND ACTIVITIES: 10:00AM – 4:00PM SATURDAY
Kids will have plenty of things to keep them busy whilst mum or dad are out riding, with an arts and craft area and a massive jumping castle to use up all that boundless energy.
Plus there’s the Grommets ride and activities for little kids! Read the Course Description for more details.
POST RACE Q&A – TBC
We will conduct a post race Q&A with top riders from the event at the Forrest Brewery. Riders to be announced closer to the event date. To be hosted by Adam Kelsall (MTB coach, MC and sports physiologist).
This will provide an incredible insight into life as a professional MTB rider and combined with the relaxed vibe of the Forrest brewery is the perfect way to finish your race day.
The Forrest Football Ground will be the central First Aid point for the event with onsite medical centre, Ambulance Victoria and trained paramedics to help you if you’ve come unstuck. Please respect that they must give priority to the more serious cases over simple cuts and grazes.
Bike Wash x2 – KRUSH and Bike Wash Australia
We are fortunate to have 2 bike washes set up at this years event so you can give your bike the love it deserves!:
– Event sponsors KRUSH will have a hand bike wash set up throughout the weekend stocked with plenty of free product, water, buckets and brushes so you can give your bike some tender loving care
– Bike Wash Australia will have their deluxe bike wash machine set up for everyone to use for a $2 donation that goes to the local trails. With hot water, pressure machines and even a blow dry function it is quick, easy and ultimate. www.bike-wash.com.au
SUPPORTING YOUR RIDER
The Forrest football ground is the only place where MTB riders can accept outside assistance from their support crew.
Competitors may only receive external support from handlers or support crew within the confines of the Forrest Football Ground at the following points:
- 100km course: 41.5km and 71km points
- 50km course: 8.4km and 31km point
- 30km course: 12.6km point
This area is defined as any section along the course that is within the playing surface of the Forrest Football Ground. So if you are a support crew be aware of this opportunity, but also the limitation that this requires in that you cannot provide any drinks, food or other support anywhere else along the course.
Any riders seen to be receiving any external support outside of this designated area will be given a 30 minute penalty – this includes collecting water bottles or other hydration or nutrition from spectators as well as items that have been ‘pre-placed’ on the course for collection during the race. This will be strongly enforced.
LIVE UPDATES AND RESULTS
Live race splits for all riders
Live timing splits will be uploaded to the website during the event. Any time you cross a timing mat your profile will be updated on the website so your friends and family back at home can track your progress. You can also track the progress of other riders to see how you compare. The link will be posted on the event homepage.
Live overall results will also be uploaded to the internet during the race so you can keep tabs on the overall and age group standings. The link will be posted on the event homepage.
Live event updates on Twitter and Instagram #otwaydyssey
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for live event updates, sending photos and other race snippets from the Otway Odyssey, #otwayodyssey #GOGG. Tell your friends at home to follow Rapid Ascent on these social media platforms and feel free to join the conversation by tagging #otwayodyssey #GOGG and/or @rapidascent